354Re: [AtkinBoats] Lady Joan

    Oct 28, 2004
      Other than helping a friend of mine steam some gunwales on an Indian canoe
      (he only needed to steam the ends, so he fastened the middle and stuck a
      piece of drainpipe over an end and shoved the hose from his pressure cooker
      into it, loosely sealing things with towels) I have no experience with
      steaming wood, but everyone I've met who's done much steaming says it's fun,
      not a miserable chore. But laminated frames in the Lady Joan's run are just
      fine, and her lines are so easy that there probably won't be any need to
      steam anything else.

      On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 16:29:55 -0400 (EDT), JohnM wrote:

      > Thanks guys for the advice. Your words are valuable to the inexperienced
      builder. My principle obstacle to building a traditionally planked boat is
      steam bending. I'm afraid, perhaps too much, of getting a serious burn. It
      also sounds like a hot, miserable task.

      Many a man has fallen in love with a girl in light so dim
      he would not have chosen a suit by it. <Maurice Chevalier>
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic