353Boatbuilding Books

    Oct 28, 2004
      Anybody have any other suggestions for boatbuilding books that would be
      helpful for builders of Atkin boats?

      Glen-L's BOATBUILDING WITH PLYWOOD, at least in the earlier editions I've
      seen in used book stores, seems like a good one for builder's of the Atkins'
      plywood boats:

      http://www.glen-l.com/books/bb.html

      Their book on engine installation mainly covers large auto engine
      conversions. Anybody know of a good book that covers engine installation?

      On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:45:39 -0700 (PDT), Scott wrote:
      > "BOATBUILDING" by Howard I. Chapelle is excellent
      > reference as well as Robert M. Steward's "BOATBUILDING
      > MANUAL." However, if you are building your first boat
      > or a bit larger boat I would have to recommend George
      > Buehler's "Buehler's Backyard Boatbuilding." This is
      > the book that George calls his shop manual. It gives
      > step-by-step instructions from lofting (very simple
      > the George way), laying the keel, cutting the rabbit
      > line, frame construction, interior construction,
      > building a mast, everything, and its fun to read, even
      > if you're not building a boat. Very clear, easy to
      > follow with lots of drawings and photos.. I have all
      > three..

      One boat just leads to another.
      <John Kohnen>
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic