347Re: [AtkinBoats] Lady Joan

    Oct 27, 2004
      The how-to-build article for Lady Joan doesn't say anything about steam-bent
      frames, but the few frames in the run where the underwater sections are
      concave should really be sawn from natural crooks. It'd be tempting to use
      steam bent frames there instead, maybe two layers of 1 1/4" x 1" oak to make
      up the 1 1/4" wide by 2" thick frames. Building the curved frames from
      thinner glued laminations would also be an excellent choice. Some people
      have mentioned troubles from gluing white oak with epoxy, so you might want
      to use a different wood for laminated frames, or a different glue.

      The Atkin plans and their accompanying how-to articles don't hold your hand
      every step of the way. They assume a familiarity with tools and how a boat
      goes together, and a willingness to stop and think now and then, that might
      daunt some modern amateurs. Fortunately there is a plethora of reading
      material available to help us learn how to build a wooden boat. A good start
      is BOATBUILDING by Howard Chapelle. Except for one or two dinks, all the
      Atkin boats must be lofted before you start building. I've heard that the
      book LOFTING by by Allan H. Vaitses gives an excellent explanation of the
      process. Some folks have complained that Chapelle is a bit confusing in his
      treatment of lofting... One of these days (soon) I'll put together a list of
      boatbuilding books that would be helpful to someone building an Atkin boat.
      I've also got a couple of old texts on the subject I may put online
      someday...

      Lady Joan is a beauty! I hope JohnM builds her. He'll be performing a public
      service by putting such a pretty boat into his local waters! :o)

      On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:22:07 -0000, JohnM wrote:

      > I have been admiring the canoe yawl Lady Joan. Does anyone know if
      > she can be built using sawn frames rather than steam bent?

      Missionaries, my Dear! Don't you realize that missionaries are the divinely
      provided food for destitute cannibals? Whenever they are on the brink of
      starvation, Heaven in its infinite mercy send them a nice plump missionary.
      <Oscar Wilde>
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic