3424Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Ninigret Power Requirements

  • Timothy Dalton
    Aug 22, 2014
      I started building a Ninigret and then life got in the way.  My big concern was not the HP because anything between 25-50hp will push he along depending on how fast you want to go.  Do you want to push the plane 18-22 knots (35+hp) or cruise semi-displacement 25 hp at 12k?  My big worry was about shaft length not hp or weight.  Weight can be balance pretty easy fore and aft.  I think the look of a long shaft motor that is stuck up through the well is really unsightly.  I was convinced to go for a Tohatsu 40 becasue it came in a short shaft and would be well hidden in the well.  Take a look at others that have their motors sticking up and compare it against the photos of Mr. Atkin's boat.  IMHO--get something in a short shaft and distribute the weight with a little more chain in the bow if it does not sit well.
      Tim D.

      On Friday, August 22, 2014 6:38 PM, "David Calloway david@... [AtkinBoats]" <AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      If the weight is the same, I'd go with the highest HP in the same block. Never know when you'll have an extra 200 pounds to take along.
      On Aug 22, 2014 4:15 PM, "jim@... [AtkinBoats]" <AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Thanks Bill and Tiernan.  The Suzuki 20 weighs 106 pounds and the 25 is 134 pounds.  The big difference is  the cubic inch displacement.  The 20 is 327cc and the 25 is 489cc.  It would appear that the 25 would pull a heavier load better than the 20.  The 25 is also the same cc as the 30 but hits the horse power at a lower rpm.  The 25 also pushes a bigger prop.  I like the 20 as it is a 2 cylinder and the 25 is a 3 cylinder engine but I would probably be better off with the 25.  Sorry, I'm thinking out loud here.
      Jim V

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic