3417Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Voyaging Valgerda, At Anchor

  • MJ Audette,
    Aug 14, 2014
      I chose it for several reasons, one of which is its good handling reputation for single handed cruising.

      For this voyage/quest, it became important that I make as much of the boat as possible, as a skills building issue. The Junk rig reputedly is the best performing sail which can be made by the inexperienced. I did elect to use cotton muslin over polytarp, though. In this type of sail, the stretch of the fabric is an advantage.

      It won't perform as well as a finely tuned Marconi, but most cruising Marconi rigs aren't finely tuned or handled.

      MJA
      Sent from a mobile device.

      "jalmberg@... [AtkinBoats]" <AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I've been reading Roger Taylor's stories about his small junk-rigged boat, Mingming, and it sounds like a great rig for the right boat. Would love to hear how it works for you.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic