3281Re: outboard motor boat design for trip down the river Murray Australia

  • Mike
    Mar 29 9:00 AM
      There is an 18 foot version of Sedge in the Jan. 1942 issue of Motorboating done by a fan of the Atkins who worked in a navy yard. It can be viewed, but not downloaded on googlebooks.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

      > I'd second Sedge, with some modifications.
      >
      > First, I would want a fixed canopy or roof in the stern, kind of like the setup on the African Queen, but smaller.
      >
      > http://blog-imgs-49-origin.fc2.com/b/o/a/boat328/African-Queen-Boat-Plans-1.jpg
      >
      > 1200 miles is a long way and the sun will be the biggest problem.
      >
      > Second, to get enough floor space to sleep on, I'd eliminate the forward thwart. That thwart helps support the sides, so you need to add something to give lateral support. What I'd do is extend the forward deck, perhaps with a low cabin top of some sort. I'm not sure if it would be possible to get sitting headspace, but that sure would be nice. The little covered space would give you a place to store clothes, sleeping bag, etc., and a place to huddle in the rain, with a one-burner stove, etc.
      >
      > Third, I might stretch her a bit... perhaps to 18 feet? She's such a simple boat that such a stretch shouldn't be a problem.
      >
      > Sounds like a fun trip!

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic