328Re: "Stepby" info sought

  • ztiurk
    Oct 17, 2004
      Hi John:

      The only other clue on there is that the plans are from the "Motor
      Boating Build a Boat Series" I don't know if that directly coincides
      with the Ideal Series books or not.

      I thought it seemed kind of rounded, but I guess you're right, from
      the engine back it's a pretty straight run.

      Side note: This book is the first I'd heard of the "Practical Series"
      from MB, the Ideal Series seems to be much more popular - has anyone
      seen the Practical Series before? I'll send you some photos John.

      Dan

      > Welcome aboard dan! The earliest volume of the Ideal Series my
      index shows
      > Stepby in is #9. My copy has a copyright date of 1927, so the boat
      was
      > designed before then. That's probably as close as we'll get to
      dating
      > Stepby, unless the plans exist and Mrs. Atkin sees this thread and
      digs them
      > up so we can get the number and make a better guess, or there might
      even
      > be a date on them somewhere...
      >
      > Stepby is a high-speed boat in spite of the sharp stern. Just look
      at that
      > flat run! She probably wouldn't be a good choice for electric power.
      >
      > On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 02:52:56 -0000, Dan K wrote:
      > > Hi All:
      > >
      > > I'm new here, and have known about John K's site for some time
      owing
      > > to his Ideal Series pages, and his link to the Atkin pages. I just
      > > got a "Practical Series - Vol 1" from Motor Boating today (dated
      > > 1918) and inside was a loose MB plan of Stepby - doesn't appear
      to be
      > > from the book oddly enough. I was curious to know what year that
      boat
      > > was drawn up, and if anyone know of any examples around today.
      It's
      > > a nice 23' double ender which might lend itself nicely to being
      set
      > > for electric power. It's listed in a couple of the Ideal Series
      > > books.
      >
      > --
      > John <jkohnen@b...>
      > http://www.boat-links.com/
      > Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after
      tomorrow.
      > <Mark Twain>
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic