3272Re: Fore An' Aft

  • Briton H
    Mar 27, 2013
      I'd classify myself as an intermediate novice...=)

      I have built a Stevenson's Weekender, three kayaks and a canoe. One of the kayaks was Nick Schade's free S&G Guillemot. It was built from offsets only, no real plans.

      I worked for years in the commercial cabinet industry, and would I have at least 'advanced' woodworking skills. However, cabinet making does not share much with boat building. I have done some steam bending, a good deal of lofting, and I have built a couple of bird's mouth masts.

      Currently, I am looking for a good build site. I would like to build indoors, but will probably end up outside, with an indoor shop. I am researching gathering and milling much of the lumber and drying it myself as well.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@...> wrote:

      > > I have recently received my plans from Atkin & Co. for a Fore an' Aft, and plan on beginning construction within the year. It has been a long time coming, and may be a little premature even. But I am moving forward. I am in Northern Utah, and this boat will most likely put in at Bear Lake. Any constructive advise on getting started would be appreciated. I look forward to chatting with you all over the next several months.
      > >
      > > Brit
      >
      > Hi Brit,
      >
      > Exiting news. Give us some background: what's your experience level, where do you plan on building her (i.e., in the open, in a shed, etc.), what sort of tools you have, how you plan on building her (traditional, strip plank, etc.).
      >
      > If you haven't already, you should make your way over to the wooden boat forum. Lots of good advice there, too: http://forum.woodenboat.com
      >
      > If you're a beginner, my advice would be: build a tender for her, first. You're going to need one anyway, and it's better to practice on a little boat than a big one. The Atkin "Vintage" would be a good choice... if you can loft Vintage, you should be able to loft Fore and Aft.
      >
      > -- John

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic