3250Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Island princess square sail

  • david gerstel
    Jan 8, 2013

      This is good advice.  The first thing to do is go to a library and pull out some of the great books on square rig.  Look at the designs of Garden, and the man who designed Varua.  Among others. Its important to realize your boat is small, and most of the gear can be manhandled. But it has to be simple. I vote for a permanently rigged yard. And Port Townsend foundry is about the best shop to cast the crane to hold the yard aloft. After that, its trial and error.

      Ariel, the Vixen design.

      On 1/8/2013 11:21 AM, Bob Johnson wrote:

      If you look back through the message archive, I think this was
      discussed about a year or so ago here. There are a lot of different
      ways to rig and set the square sail. What gear do you have, and how is
      it rigged? Is the yard held permanantly aloft, or is it normally stored
      on deck? Is there a track or wire jackstay on the fore side of the
      foremast? Try to describe as best you can exactly what gear seems to
      be associated with the square sail and yard, and maybe we can help you
      figure out how to use it.

      > 1. Island princess square sail
      > From: Paul Hennig
      > Message
      > _
      > 1. Island princess square sail
      > Posted by: "Paul Hennig" hennigpaul@... hennigpaul
      > Date: Mon Jan 7, 2013 6:22 pm ((PST))
      > I recently purchased a steel Island Princess with a square sail on the
      > fore mast. Sounds great! Anybody have any information on how to rig
      > and fly it. Thanks Paul

      No virus found in this message.