325Re: [AtkinBoats] New Member Saying Hello

    Oct 17, 2004
      Welcome aboard Scott! Schooners have been switched back and forth between
      Marconi and gaff mainsails before. You've got to be careful not to move the
      center of effort of the sail plan very much, or you'll spoil the sailing
      balance of the boat. Jim Michalak (rhymes with "metallic") has a good
      introduction to figuring out sail areas and centers of effort here:

      http://homepages.apci.net/~michalak/15jun04.htm

      Of course it's more complicated with all the sails a schooner carries! <g>
      Just use the working sails for the math, not the light weather stuff.

      On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 15:53:16 -0000, Scott wrote:
      > I've been looking for a traditional style
      > boat be it schooner, cutter, or sloop. I found the boat, or should I
      > say boats, because I don't know which one I like the best. My
      > selections are ""America Junior", "Little Maid of Kent", and of
      > course "Island Princess". Schooners ever last one of them. The boat
      > that stirs the heart and sole of everyone, sailor or not. The
      > dicision is difficult because the gaff mainsail of "America Junior" I
      > think would look great on the other two boats. If that was the case,
      > the decision would be easy. "Island Princess" would win. I know the
      > Atkins say don't change anything in the design, but if you have a
      > gaff sail of equal size (to include reef points) as the current
      > marconi design would it work? I don't see why not. Anyone's
      > thoughts or comments...

      One boat just leads to another.
      <John Kohnen>
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic