      Subject: [AtkinBoats] Re: Elon Jessup Skiff
      From: "Richard" <mecheng35@...>
      Date: Fri, August 31, 2012 12:50 pm
      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com

      Elon Jessup appears to have been designed for outboard power, and the 7.5 merc weighs 64 lbs (older 2 stroke, manual start), so with an extension, I'm hoping I can move a bit forward and maintain trim. I'm not looking for planing performance and recognize the limitations of the displacement hull, I want to carry a decent load at around 8-12 mph. In the design brief on the Atkins website, he notes a 10-12 hp should push it at 15-17mph, which would be plenty. Thoughts anyone?

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, mark@... wrote:
      > Rich,
      > I am by no means an expert but in reading reviews of Atkin's designs I believe that moving the 350lbs from the middle of the boat to the stern would be a mistake. In a craft of this size changing that much weight would compromise the designed performance. I would consider electric power with the power and batteries to replace the original engine. I remember seeing one of Atkins tunnel boats that had a modern engine of significantly less weight and it changed how the craft went through the water. Remember that Atkins designed some rocker in the design so you need to account for how the change in weight would affect the designed waterline
      > Just a thought
      > Mark
      > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic