318Re: comparing three designs

  • adharvey2
    Oct 7, 2004
      Thanks Lewis.
      I was figuring on using plywood planking. John Atkins made reference
      to the possibility of batten seam plywood planking in his article on
      the plans site. Or do you think plywood lapstrake woud be better? Btw,
      those climate parameters I mentioned are the extremes, not averages.
      I have sent for study plans for the boats in quetion. Should know more
      about construction when they arrive.
      Andrew

      <l_gordon_nica@y...> wrote:

      AD,

      > Ouch! Your winter storage requirements may limit your construction
      > method choices. Conventional plank on frame will certainly present a
      > challenge to prevent severe drying out over the winter. Are any of
      > your choices lap strake construction? As much as I personally dislike
      > the idea of cutting big pieces of wood into little strips just to put
      > them back together again, strip planking a design based for plank on
      > frame should not be too big a deal. Cold molding would be an expensive
      > alternative.
      >
      > Lewis
      >

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "adharvey2" <cen67858@c...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Forgot to mention - whatever I build will have to sit out the winter
      > > on a trailer at 10 - 20 below zero and 10% relative humidity.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic