3160New to the group, starting a build

  • stephen.vincent@sbcglobal.net
    Jan 4, 2012
      Hi all,

      I'm new to the group and wanted to introduce myself. I found Atkins though John Almbergs excellent blog, the unlikely boat builder. For the last 4 years or so, I've been developing an unhealthy fascination with, and collection of, hand tools and traditional woodworking methods. My dad is a bricklayer, and with my job in this information age, we don't get to stand back at the end of the day and say, "look what I accomplished today"; its all so abstract. That led me to woodworking at home in my "manshed". Slowly, I've gravitated away from furniture and towards boatbuilding. The unlikely first stop was a soon to be finished 13' Tom Blake paddleboard. And the next progression was naturally to a full fledged boat.

      Yesterday I received my plans for Precious. I'm looking forward to using this as a broad learning experience; hoping to not only build the boat but also make the sails and rigging.

      I'm hoping to document the progress, but was not sure whether to use a blog site, use a group like this, or a combination. Any suggestions?

      Regards,

      Steve Vincent
      Los Angeles, CA
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic