3143Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: shore liner plans

  • John Almberg
    Dec 8, 2011

      In my experience, the water=patrol deputies showed up at the appointed time, ask me how long it was, filled out the form and were gone. Less than 5 minutes. I had my 30-foot tape there, but they took my word for it. Length is all they were interested in and making sure it was a new build.

      And even if it somehow got classified as a 'wide load', you could still get a permit for the 2x a year you need to trailer it.

      Problem is, those 8" are going to have to come out of the open floor space. The bunks are probably already as narrow as possible, so you probably can't shave much from their width.

      The floor is already obstructed by the centerboard caseā€¦ cutting down the floorspace even more is going to make getting around the cabin a pain, I think.

      A flat bottom sailboat also uses the width it's bottom for stability. Cutting the width by 8" is going to have an effect on the boat's ability to stand up to the weather. Since the reduction comes at the point of maximum leverage, the effect might be surprisingly high.

      I'd say if you need a boat to be a certain width, you should choose one that fits your criteria, rather than cutting one down, but hey, that's just my opinion. It's your boat.

      -- John

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic