3121Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Power for Ninigret continued

    Nov 5 7:05 AM
      Thanks a lot, JJ! That's really good info, based on actual experience. I'm
      pleased that Ninigret goes along fine with the 25 hp. Merc. I don't
      recall, is that a 4-stroke Merc? There are advantages to having extra
      power for a load, but it always comes with extra weight -- extra weight
      just where you don't want it, even when the engine is in a well. That's
      especially a concern with today's heavy, bulky motors. I'll again
      recommend the Bartender group for it's discussions about putting modern
      outboards into a boat designed when motors were smaller and lighter:

      On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 10:13:28 -0700, JJ wrote:

      > The Ninigret does very well with the Bigfoot 25 and 4-6 aboard. I've
      > found that the key element, with its semi-displacement hull design, is
      > balancing the load and keeping weight out of the stern. That's why a
      > reasonably light motor works so well. I tried a Merc 50 in a Ninigret
      > and that was overkill, stern-heavy, and the motor's "dog house"
      > unsightly.
      > I put most gear and 2 folks (or more) in the cuddy; becasue it's open to
      > the cockpit they don't feel isolated. I also carry two fold-up chairs to
      > use benind the stearing/co-pilot fixed seats.
      > A point to note is that the Merc Bigfoot is beefier than the standard
      > 25hp; it was intented to push pontoon boats with its biggger prop. The
      > crankshaft is a brute.
      > Good luck with your new motor. I think that ninigret's hull weight and
      > design accomodates a relatively wide range of power units.

      John (jkohnen@...)
      The denunciation of the young is a necessary part of the hygiene
      of older people, and greatly assists the circulation of the
      blood. (Logan Pearsall Smith)
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic