3104Re: Power for Ninigret

  • jj_warde
    Oct 14, 2011
      Just spotted your posting from mid-September.

      I have a Ninigret built in 2000 by Tony Bries (Freedom Boats); pictures of our and his boat are on the Atkin website. Both are powered by a 25hp 4-stroke Merc "Bigfoot" short-shaft (15"). That set-up allows transom mounting and low-profile covered enclosure like the original plans illustrate. That motor has worked very well in terms of fuel consumption, power and being very quiet. I did have the original carburator replaced with an "updated/improved" issue. The Bigfoot swings a larger prop than the standard Merc 25. Tony experimented with different props and settled with a 12"/10 ½"/3RH merc blackmax #48-427 40A11. In flat water it tops out at 18 mph (confirmed by GPS) and has torque for river current and steep chop.

      I have done some research for a potential replacement. One that I've considered is a 30 hp 4-stoke 15" short shaft from Tohatsu (model #MFS30BEPTS). It weights 178lbs with electric start/tilt with remote steering.
      You also may be interested to know that there are 40hp 15" short-shafts still being made but in 2-stoke. Both Tohatsu (# MD40B2EPTOS) and Nissan (# NSD40B2EPTO1) have such motors; both weigh about 210lbs.
      Hope this may be of help you and other Ninigret owners.
      Best regards,
      JJ Ward

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Edgar Boyd <boydmaine@...> wrote:

      > Hello Tiernan.
      >
      > Thanks very much for your input. It means a lot to me when you say the 30hp (short shaft) motor works great on the Ninigret you built. The motor box certainly looks good and I like the increased camber you put in the stern sections. Lovely boat!
      >
      > I know of no new 40hp motor that is being offered with a short shaft, and if I read you correctly you are saying the 20" transom height would make it impractical if not impossible to fully enclose the motor. Like you, I want the quiet of a fully enclosed motor.
      >
      > So, the 30 hp motor is about 55 lbs lighter than the 40, the 30 would permit enclosing the motor completely, and it is less expensive. I can see no reason not to get the 30 instead of the 40, can you or anyone? The one question I have is if the power of the 30 is truly adequate? I am not concerned so much about speed as I am about the ability to go against river current (up to 6 kts) and the ability to carry 4-6 people efficiently.
      >
      > What do you think?
      >
      > Thanks again,
      >
      > Bill

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic