3085Re: A retirement goal

  • roofairbairn@btopenworld.com
    Sep 4, 2011
      Hi
      this is my first post.
      My Florence Oakland, Marie Sophie, waas built in Bar creek Boatyard, Malpas Truro Cornwall UK, by Paul Gartside when he was at Truro School, at the same time as me.
      She was built between 1968 and 1971, of white seraya, carvel, on seam battens, with an english oak keel. Frames and transom are Keruing.The decks have delaminated and require replacing, all spars are intact and are Douglas fir.
      Apparrently she sails very well, despite the departure from the official construction.
      I intend to extend the cabin to aft of the main mast, reducing the size of the cockpit, and make it self draining.
      She is set up for a port wing engine ,and I shall fit a contemporary Petter AV2WM with 2:1 reduction, and corresponding ballast on the starboard side.
      The extra ballast, along with hollowed spars, should allow the use of topsails.
      If anybody knows of a Florence Oakland with tops, could they let me know (with photos} please
      If anyone would like photos- let me know
      All the best
      Robert
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, <wmeparker@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      > The amateur builder of my Florence Oakland took 5 years to build her, before and after retirement. One significant difference might be that he did traditional rigging, and made all the blocks and deadeyes himself, including rope strops and other marlinspike work. If you buy fittings, you could probably get it done in the five years even on a bigger boat. The real time consumption is in interior joinerwork.
      >
      > Best,
      > Bill
      > ---- pringni_konta@... wrote:
      > > Greetings. I am new to the group, having drooled over the Island Princess for more years than a care to admit. A few questions for the group: can this boat feasibly be built by an amateur (I've built several houses, but never a boat), and if so, is a five year plan reasonable? It is not one that is astericked for plywood construction, but the hard chine makes it look like it could be. Is it? And finally, how much space do I need. I am looking at a 40x24 building, 12 ' high. I guess a related question; anyone have one for sale? Thanks.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic