3063Re: 10' Lapstrake Sailing Dinghy "Vintage"

  • john
    Jul 31, 2011
      John Almberg makes a good point, downwind, a full keel will add significant drag on such a short waterline length hull, also keep in mind that most centerboard hulls gain strength 7 support for the foil below with support above (usually a seat or thwart) wich you will be lacking with a keel, so may need to increase sizing of floor timbers or something.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, John Almberg <jalmberg@...> wrote:

      > Well, it's uncharted territory. Post pictures!
      >
      > - John
      >
      > Sent from my iPad, so may be a bit brief.
      >
      > On Jul 30, 2011, at 11:25 AM, "thirdbluestreaksamurai" <cmetzbower@...> wrote:
      >
      > > I plan to use her for sailing only and I want something that is 12' or less and will handle rougher seas then the original plan. This is more for fun then anything so if it turns out to be a bad idea then so be it.
      > >
      > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, John Almberg <jalmberg@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I started building Vintage last winter, but half-way through lofting her, I realized I had no idea what I was doing, so I spent a LONG time studying how to properly loft a boat. Vintage is a good subject to practice on, because she has all the lines a big boat has, in a small package. Long story short: by the time I got her lofted, Spring was coming on fast and I had to do a bunch of work on my bigger boat, so Vintage got put on hold. Hope to finish her this winter.
      > > >
      > > > Why are you thinking of building her with a keel? To eliminate the centerboard case? When you say 'full keel', I guess you mean keeping the body plan the same shape, but making the current 'keel' (the structural member the center board goes through) deeper?
      > > >
      > > > I wonder how that would affect her rowing and downwind performance. And weight, come to think of it.
      > > >
      > > > -- John

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic