302Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Displacement tunnel-stern seabright skiff

    Sep 5, 2004
      I looked at the MoToR BoatinG article about Wader last night. Nice boat! The
      design and Billy's prose made me want one for myself! <g> I think Wader
      would be just the ticket for Ron. Look at the lines, the forefoot is sharp
      and extends well below the waterline -- it'd take a lot of chop to make it
      pound; the bottom curves up gently to the waterline aft, making the boat
      easy to drive with low power (and making it a waste of money to put a big
      engine in it). The construction uses full frames and batten seams. The boat
      could be built with planks and still live on a trailer, but she could also
      easily be converted to plywood without changing the framing at all. The
      curved tumblehome at the stern would be a challenge, but it would be a shame
      to do away with it. Using batten seam plywood planks in that area, two
      layers of thin plywood planks, odd shaped chunks of plywood, or "cold
      molding" the sides aft out of two or three layers of thin diagonal plywood
      planks are a few ways the challenge could be met. As John Atkin says, "...
      in some cases the lines of a flat bottom or V-bottom hull are relatively
      simple so that the builder might adapt the construction to use plywood in
      sheet form. Occasionally, this will require some ingenuity."

      With a little care in the construction and finish Wader would be a nice
      looking boat, she'd turn heads wherever she went and most people would never
      realize that underneath she's just a flat-bottom skiff. <g> Don't you dare
      think about raising the cabin Ron! Five feet of headroom is plenty for
      standing and pulling your pants up in the morning and the rest of the time
      you'll be sitting or lying when below.

      On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 15:23:29 -0000, Ron wrote:
      > Thank you very much for your good suggestions, John and Lewis. This
      > is a helpful board. You have given me much to think about. Wader is
      > appealing with the shallow draft and good protection for the helm.
      > I'll be doing comparisons and will need to order plans in a while.

      John <jkohnen@...>
      After all, all he did was string together a lot of old,
      well-known quotations. <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic