3009Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Help with offsets

  • John Almberg
    Apr 27, 2011
      Using the scale rule for sanity checks is good, but you shouldn't need it for lofting. All the measurements you need should be on the plans or offset table. You just need to take it step by step. What have you done so far? What are you stuck on, specifically?

      -- John

      Billy wrote:

      Already have a scale rule and used it to check things on the plans, which are drawn 1"=1' and the plans are really close, or, accurately scaled. I just can't measure things like 1/16th with it. This is just a "simple" flat bottom skiff but it is my first time trying to loft a design. All my others were S&G boats or kits. I'm sure I'm just missing something and that I'll figure it out.(?)

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, davy riggs <titanicslim@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Billy
      > This may seem like a bunch of extra work but, trust me, it is not.   You would do well to get an architect's scale and make a 1"=1' (or better, 3"=1') drawing before you do it full scale on the floor.   I like to draw on smoothly finished aircraft plywood, then take it with me to the lofting floor for instant reference- much handier than a paper drawing.
      > You will find problems (and, yes, Mr. Atkin's mistakes) and fix them sitting comfortably at your desk where you can see the whole scheme without gymnastics.  So by the time you begin the full-size lofting, you will have a good idea of what you are doing and save beaucoups headaches and knee-aches.
      > You may even, as I have done, find cause to alter course before you embark on a project you should not.
      > Dave
      >
      > Man proposes- God disposes. -U.S. Grant

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic