298Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Displacement tunnel-stern seabright skiff

    Sep 2, 2004
      How shallow a draft do you need? I know, the shallower the better, but would
      2' do? Take a look at Little Silver:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Cruisers/LittleSilver.html

      Don't let the flat bottom put you off, Wader should be quite capable in the
      type of water you like to cruise in, and her draft is only 1' 5":

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Cruisers/Wader.html

      For really low power a sailboat hullworks pretty good. Take a look at some
      of the shallow-hulled centerboard sailboats in the catalog, with an eye
      towards ditching the rig and adding a motorboat style cabin and cockpit
      (sorry Pat <g>). You might look at Twilight and Great Bear:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Twilight.html

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/GreatBear.html

      You're not crazy, going slow and easy is nice. Try to make your engine as
      unobtrusive as possible with vibration damping, sound insulation and good
      muffling of the exhaust. Quiet is a Good Thing in a boat. It's possible to
      put up with a noisy, vibratory engine in a fast boat because you get where
      you're going quick and can shut it off soon, but noise and vibration are a
      pain in the neck in a slow boat where you're trying to enjoy the journey...

      On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 16:00:21 -0000, Ron wrote:
      > This may sound crazy, but I plan a single-cylinder Diesel of 6.6 to
      > perhaps 8 hp cruising at about 3/4 max power. The background is that
      > we have done 3 month-long cruises (plus some shorter trips) in our
      > Balboa 8.2 sailboat and had a wonderful time
      > I'd like something about the same speed, economy,
      > seaworthiness, and accommodations, but with significantly better
      > weather protection and lower clearance to poke up interesting
      > gunkholes above bridges. We need shallower draft (tunnel stern) to
      > explore shallower, less visited sounds and creeks. I'd like to ditch
      > much of the 2300# ballast and rigging and regain seaworthiness by
      > adding length and perhaps narrowing the beam. The boat has to be
      > trailerable because we're based in Colorado. "River Belle" is close,
      > but somewhat bigger and much faster and more powerful than I have in
      > mind. I'd prefer plywood construction and a more traditional
      > sheerline. I'm open to suggestions for boats or modification of my
      > wishes.

      What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of
      smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? <Billy Atkin>
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic