297Re: Displacement tunnel-stern seabright skiff

  • ronschwiesow
    Sep 2, 2004
      > squeeze the most out of every electron. What sort of power are you
      > contemplating?

      This may sound crazy, but I plan a single-cylinder Diesel of 6.6 to
      perhaps 8 hp cruising at about 3/4 max power. The background is that
      we have done 3 month-long cruises (plus some shorter trips) in our
      Balboa 8.2 sailboat and had a wonderful time in the Pacific
      Northwest, the upper 2/3 of the Chesapeake, and Pamlico and Albemarle
      Sounds on 6.6 hp. The boat is about 26' LOD, 8'0" beam, 30" draft
      board up, and 5000# or so displacement loaded. Based on these
      experiences, I'd like something about the same speed, economy,
      seaworthiness, and accommodations, but with significantly better
      weather protection and lower clearance to poke up interesting
      gunkholes above bridges. We need shallower draft (tunnel stern) to
      explore shallower, less visited sounds and creeks. I'd like to ditch
      much of the 2300# ballast and rigging and regain seaworthiness by
      adding length and perhaps narrowing the beam. The boat has to be
      trailerable because we're based in Colorado. "River Belle" is close,
      but somewhat bigger and much faster and more powerful than I have in
      mind. I'd prefer plywood construction and a more traditional
      sheerline. I'm open to suggestions for boats or modification of my
      wishes.

      Ron
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic