2960Re: Ninigret

  • Tiernan Roe
    Mar 17, 2011
      Hi Jim,
      You'll need 21 sheets of 3/8" ply that allows for no mistakes but does include wastage. I can't remember off hand how much oak and spruce you'll need. I used western red cedar as clear spruce was unavailable.
      I also used 30kg of epoxy in the build for all gluing, and three coats through out. 2 gallons of undercoat paint to paint the inside and deck. half gallon of topcoat for the decks and cockpit, A quarter gallon of undercoat for topsides of hull and a quarter gallon topcoat. 2-3 lbs of 1.5" SiBr ring nails and 1lb of 7/8". plus other misc. fasteners.
      Hope this helps.
      Tiernan Roe
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, John Almberg <jalmberg@...> wrote:
      > jim.bagley@... wrote:
      > >
      > > Sorry to drag up an old post but I am new here and its about a boat I
      > > have thought about a lot and the post did not seem to result in much
      > > information coming forward. I think if everyone who fell in love with
      > > Ninigret and wanted their own, actually built one then Ninigrets would
      > > be bumping up against each other in every harbour. I wonder why there
      > > are so few. Does any one have an estimate of what the material costs
      > > would be? What building method would you use? What materials etc.
      > > I do so much want to build a Ninigret but it might be biting off more
      > > than I can chew. Anyone with an idea of the scope of the build? How
      > > many partially built Ninigrets are out there owned by the builders
      > > widow/ widower. I need to be sure I can finish it in my time.
      > >
      > You could as well ask why are there so few wooden boats. The answer is,
      > I think, that most people think they are too much trouble. Most of us on
      > this list disagree!
      > There have been a number of Ninigrets built lately. The best thing would
      > be too google their builders and call them up for a chat. Most builders
      > love to talk about their work and can give you lots of specific
      > information, although I'd take time & money estimates with a grain of
      > salt. That's going to vary a lot with the materials used and the
      > builder's expertise.
      > Suffice to say it's going to cost a lot of time and money to build. Wood
      > is expensive, and time even more so. The good news is, you don't have to
      > plunk down all the money at once. You can buy the material as you need
      > it and spread the cost over a couple of years (probably how long it
      > would take to build, unless you are a full-timer.)
      > If you think she might be more than you can chew, she probably is. If
      > its your first build, you might want to start with something smaller,
      > like a dingy for her. Something that is as close to Ninigret's style as
      > possible, so you get the hang of the techniques.
      > I don't think there is a small V-bottom skiff in the Atkin catalog, so
      > you might look at something like Cabin Boy (my favorite). A dink is
      > always good to have, anyway, and you get to make beginner mistakes on
      > something relatively inexpensive.
      > If it were me, I'd build Ninigret in glued lapstrake with the best
      > possible marine plywood.
      > Hope that helps!
      > -- John
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic