2954Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Ninigret

  • John Almberg
    Mar 16 3:10 PM
      jim.bagley@... wrote:

      Sorry to drag up an old post but I am new here and its about a boat I have thought about a lot and the post did not seem to result in much information coming forward. I think if everyone who fell in love with Ninigret and wanted their own, actually built one then Ninigrets would be bumping up against each other in every harbour. I wonder why there are so few. Does any one have an estimate of what the material costs would be? What building method would you use? What materials etc.
      I do so much want to build a Ninigret but it might be biting off more than I can chew. Anyone with an idea of the scope of the build? How many partially built Ninigrets are out there owned by the builders widow/ widower. I need to be sure I can finish it in my time.

      You could as well ask why are there so few wooden boats. The answer is, I think, that most people think they are too much trouble. Most of us on this list disagree!

      There have been a number of Ninigrets built lately. The best thing would be too google their builders and call them up for a chat. Most builders love to talk about their work and can give you lots of specific information, although I'd take time & money estimates with a grain of salt. That's going to vary a lot with the materials used and the builder's expertise.

      Suffice to say it's going to cost a lot of time and money to build. Wood is expensive, and time even more so. The good news is, you don't have to plunk down all the money at once. You can buy the material as you need it and spread the cost over a couple of years (probably how long it would take to build, unless you are a full-timer.)

      If you think she might be more than you can chew, she probably is. If its your first build, you might want to start with something smaller, like a dingy for her. Something that is as close to Ninigret's style as possible, so you get the hang of the techniques.

      I don't think there is a small V-bottom skiff in the Atkin catalog, so you might look at something like Cabin Boy (my favorite). A dink is always good to have, anyway, and you get to make beginner mistakes on something relatively inexpensive.

      If it were me, I'd build Ninigret in glued lapstrake with the best possible marine plywood.

      Hope that helps!

      -- John
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic