295Re: [AtkinBoats] Displacement tunnel-stern seabright skiff

    Sep 1, 2004
      I don't know if either Atkin designed a tunnel-stern Seabright skiff for
      lower speeds. Mrs. Atkin lurks here, and she may know if there is one, and
      if there are any speed/power curves in existence.

      The tunnel-stern Seabright skiffs are easily driven hulls. Even though the
      ones in the catalog won't be as efficient running at low speeds as a similar
      design optimized for that use I don't think the difference will be enough to
      worry about, unless maybe you're comtemplating electric power and need to
      squeeze the most out of every electron. What sort of power are you
      contemplating?

      On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:14:39 -0000, Ron wrote:
      > Is there an example of an Atkin powerboat of the Rescue Minor style
      > but designed for displacement speeds? I am interested in a slightly
      > smaller version of River Belle that can be executed in plywood but
      > that is designed for efficiency at a speed/length ratio of about
      > 1.34. Robb White has convinced me that the Rescue Minor is
      > surprisingly efficient, so that's a good starting point. The smallest
      > S/L of 1.75 that I can find is Sallie Hyde, but that design doesn't
      > have the tunnel stern. Rescue Minor has S/L of 3.49, and even the
      > larger River Belle is at S/L of 2.23.
      >
      > Are there any available curves of power required as a function of
      > speed for a tunnel-stern seabright skiff? That might help understand
      > the question of an efficient S/L for this type of hull.

      One boat just leads to another.
      <John Kohnen>
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic