      From: holzboat [mailto:holzboat@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 5:13 AM
      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [AtkinBoats] Re: Displacement for America Junior and Silver Heels

      The 7000 lbs. is strictly a guess on my part, I could easily be off
      by 1000 lbs. either way. Cold molding would certainly save some
      weight. If you are serious talk to a yacht designer about working up
      scantlings for cold molded construction and displacement figures.
      Someone on the WoodenBoat forum built an Atkin design several years
      ago. He had a new sail plan drawn by Jay Benford who had apprenticed
      with John Atkin. He might be worth talking to as I would think he'd
      be pretty familiar with their work. The boat was named Christina
      Grant if you want to look it up on that forum.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chriskottaridis" <chrisk@q...>
      wrote:
      > Thanks for looking into it. I want to be able to move it from
      > one reservoir to another a couple of times during the season.
      > The reservoirs here are pretty small, so seven months or so
      > at the same location gets a bit old. I would like moving it
      > to not be any bigger of a production then is necessary.
      >
      > The 7000 lbs puts it right at the limit of my towing capability.
      > I may not be able to get that into the mountains without
      > upgrading my tow vehicle, which would be more expense.
      > I was hoping to stay under 6000 lbs, which would have put it at
      > more then 33% ballast to displacement. I wouldn't mind cold-molding
      > it to make it lighter and reduce ballast and sail area
      > proportionately, but I certainly am not qualified to make that
      > kind of a change.
      >
      > Again, thanks for the info.
      >
      > Chris Kottaridis (chrisk@q...)
      > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      >

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "holzboat" <holzboat@a...> wrote:
      > > There doesn't seem to be displacement figures given for many of
      the
      > > Atkin's designs. I looked through several of the Ideal Series
      books
      > > with no results. I've looked through several other designers
      plans
      > > for similar sized boats and am going to guess that 7000 lbs. would
      > be
      > > a reasonable number to work with.
      > >
      > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "holzboat" <holzboat@a...>
      > wrote:
      > > > The displacemant is not mentioned in the article about "Live
      > > Yankee"
      > > > or in the plans published for "America Junior" or "Silver
      Heels".
      > > > haven't yet found the first article I mentioned about "Siver
      > Heels"
      > > > but if it has the displacement I'll post here when I find it.
      As
      > > for
      > > > trailering, I think that depends on what your definition of a
      > > > trailerable boat is. You won't be towing one of these behind
      your
      > > > Honda. A 3/4 or 1 ton pickup could certainly handle one of
      these
      > > but
      > > > I would think the complexity of the rig alone would preclude
      > trying
      > > > to daysail one of these designs from a trailer. Hauling at the
      > > > begining and end of the season would not be much of a problem.
      > > >
      > > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "chriskottaridis"
      > <chrisk@q...>

      > ballast.

      > =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      > is
      Junior".
      > > > There
      > pg.

      > > > schooner.
      > by
      > > Silver
      > with
      > > > how

      > and

      Amercia
      > have
      > as

      > > Junior's

      No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be
      polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
      <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor