280Re: Displacement for America Junior and Silver Heels

  • chriskottaridis
    Aug 9, 2004
      Does the article mention what the displacment is ?

      The synopsis on the atkinboatplans web site says 1500 outside
      lead ballast and another 600 lbs. of inside ballast compared to
      America Junior's 1000 lbs outside ballast and 500 inside ballast.

      If one or both of these is too heavy for me to trailer with my
      own truck I'd like to know that before I start dreaming too much
      about it. Also, the general rule is displacement guides overall
      cost rather then length alone, so knowing the total displacement
      is handy to know.

      Chris Kottaridis (chrisk@...)

      P.S. Apparently my domain name expired, it may take a few days to
      get the domain name back on-line in case anyone may have
      tried to email me directly.
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "holzboat" <holzboat@a...> wrote:
      > The original design for the schooner version of Silver Heels is
      > named "Live Yankee" and has the same rig as "America Junior". There
      > is a write-up in the January 1959 issue of "BOATS" magazine, pg.
      52.

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "holzboat" <holzboat@a...> wrote:
      > > I believe that Silver Heels was originaly designed as a schooner.
      > > can't recall exactly where I read this but it was written by
      > William
      > > Atkin, perhaps in the Motor Boating issue that it originaly
      > appeared
      > > in. I also had the opportunity to sail a schooner rigged Silver
      > Heels
      > > several times about 25 years ago and was quite impressed with how
      > > well she sailed.
      > >
      > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Kottaridis"
      <chrisk@q...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Anyone know the overall displacement for America Junior and
      > Silver
      > > Heels?
      > > >
      > > > It seems Silver Heels is a round bottom version of Amercia
      Junior
      > > that
      > > > has the same length, is slightly narrower and seems to have a
      bit
      > > more
      > > > balast. It's a ketch rig of more or less same sail size as
      > Amercia
      > > Junior.
      > > >
      > > > Also, any opinions or comments about putting America Junior's
      > > Schooner rig
      > > > on Silver Heel's round bottom hull ?
      > > >
      > > > Chris Kottaridis (chrisk@q...)
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic