2789Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: boat choice

    Aug 25, 2010
      Tanja is conventional carvel (smooth skin) construction, 3/4" planks over
      bent oak frames. In the Old Days every boatshop around could knock out
      hull's like Tanja's, but she'd be difficult for a beginning amateur
      builder today, though plenty of beginners over the years have built boats
      like her. Nowadays most people would keep a 17' boat on a trailer, and
      carvel construction doesn't like living on a trailer. With her heavy
      build, Tanja would be a good boat to build with strip planking, sheathed
      with fiberglass just on the outside (not like a stripper canoe, glassed
      inside and out), if she was going to be kept on a trailer.

      I think Seven Days might be a good boat to think about, Mark. She's
      designed to carry a heavy powerplant (Universal Fisherman, almost 300 lb.
      with reverse gear) and isn't intended to pushed much past "hull speed."
      You'd have to make a deeper skeg to accommodate your big propeller, but
      otherwise she should work fine. She's designed for either lapstrake or
      batten-seam side planking and and fore-and-aft batten-seam bottom
      planking, which will tolerate being trailered, though I'd advise using
      plywood at least on the bottom if she's gonna live on a trailer.
      Converting Seven Days to plywood planking throughout would be a snap:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/SevenDays.html

      --
      John (jkohnen@...)
      A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is