2788Re: boat choice

  • Mike
    Aug 25, 2010
      Tanja would need a professional builder. If you can't afford Joel White or someone of his stature it's probably not the boat for you. I looked up a possible alternative; not an Atkins design unfortunately. It's a power dory the plans of which are free but somewhat involved to obtain. Go to GoogleBooks and search "rudder", you will get the 1922 compilation of Rudder Magazine,when you have the 1922 yearbook in front of you look in the upper left of the page and click on "about this book", near the bottom of this page there will be a section for "other books like this" or something similar. Click on the small link to "view all" and you will find 4 pages of other links for Rudder, two of them will be for 1910. The second half of the 1910 year will have building plans on page 202 for a lapstrake power dory designed by Fred Goeller who was a very successful New York builder who contributed many designs to Rudder. That one might be built in plywood. It's 18 feet and narrower at the waterline than Tanja but it's right for your engine I think. There, the world has my last secret! Well maybe everyone knew but I haven't seen anyone mention Rudder on GoogleBooks before. I hope this helps.

      Mike

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, mark ellefson <rowcycle@...> wrote:

      > Thanks to all of you for the advice. Tanja was one of the boats I've been
      > considering and will probably build when I get ready. What type of
      > construction does she use? I'm a little bit concerned about how difficult
      > it is to build since nothing was said. I'm good with tools but have never
      > built a boat before.
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Mike <johndolph@...> wrote:
      >

      > > The only boat in the catalog well suited to that sort of high torque low
      > > speed power is Tanja. I think she would make a beautiful sight to see
      > > propelled by your engine. Some of the larger boats might take the wheel but
      > > they were designed for more HP at higher revolutions and performance would
      > > be poor. Do not be overly concerned about propeller distance from the hull
      > > along the shaft line at those rpm's of course you need clearance between the
      > > blade tips and the bottom of the stern but not much.
      > >
      > > John Dolph
      > >

      > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com <AtkinBoats%40yahoogroups.com>, "marke"
      > > <rowcycle@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I'm in the process of building a steam engine which should produce 3 hp
      > > at 500 rpms which will need a 15 inch by 22 pitch propeller. Now I'm trying
      > > to choose a boat to build. I bought study plans for Twinkle but they didn't
      > > indicate if the prop would fit. I like the shallow draft feature but need to
      > > know which boat will accomodate my engine and prop before I order more
      > > plans. I am also restricted to not more than 20 ft. long. Can anyone help
      > > me?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for any tips,
      > > > Mark Ellefson

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic