2787Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: boat choice

  • mark ellefson
    Aug 25, 2010
      Thanks to all of you for the advice.  Tanja was one of the boats I've been considering and will probably build when I get ready.  What type of construction does she use?  I'm a little bit concerned about how difficult it is to build since nothing was said.  I'm good with tools but have never built a boat before.

      Mark

      On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Mike <johndolph@...> wrote:

      The only boat in the catalog well suited to that sort of high torque low speed power is Tanja. I think she would make a beautiful sight to see propelled by your engine. Some of the larger boats might take the wheel but they were designed for more HP at higher revolutions and performance would be poor. Do not be overly concerned about propeller distance from the hull along the shaft line at those rpm's of course you need clearance between the blade tips and the bottom of the stern but not much.

      John Dolph

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "marke" <rowcycle@...> wrote:

      > I'm in the process of building a steam engine which should produce 3 hp at 500 rpms which will need a 15 inch by 22 pitch propeller. Now I'm trying to choose a boat to build. I bought study plans for Twinkle but they didn't indicate if the prop would fit. I like the shallow draft feature but need to know which boat will accomodate my engine and prop before I order more plans. I am also restricted to not more than 20 ft. long. Can anyone help me?
      >
      > Thanks for any tips,
      > Mark Ellefson

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic