2684Re: Eric

  • titanicslim
    Mar 19 11:28 AM
      OK- I guess it's my turn now.

      Since an Eric is too big a boat for a novice's first attempt, we're advising you to build a double-ender dinghy for practice, right? I'm not familiar with the Lynaes model but I don't think it will teach many applicable tasks. Wherever you decide to hang it, I recommend you build a regular carvel sailing peapod: about a 15-footer. The John Gardener book that will take you through the process step-by-step is called Building Classic Small Craft and is available here for USD7.00 http://www.amazon.com/Building-Classic-Small-Craft-1/dp/0877422990/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269022303&sr=8-8.

      Now, this is too much to stow on board an Eric Ketch, but you haven't got an Eric now, have you? A pod of this sort will be a huge project, but one that will not be nearly as likely to rot on the building molds before she's done. And when you're done, you will have a really cool boat that will do nearly everything an Eric will do except ruin you financially.

      What she will do, however, is teach you a whole lot about lofting, set-up, bending frames, planking a set-works double-ender (and that suggests a book) caulking and everything the Eric will require of you except engine installation. And you will learn all these essential skills on a manageable scale. By the way, I usually tow a tender when I need one.

      Also, whilst we're telling you how to spend your children's inheritance, this is the boat you really want to build: http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/EricJr.html

      Lots of luck,
      Dave
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic