2543Re: Time to build a bigger boat like Fore and Aft?

  • john.frodigh
    Nov 28, 2009
      Hello, I am restoring the 2nd Fore an Aft, Scarlet Queen, then Pilgrim, pictures are on the Atkin site, I can tell you in a nutshell that the timbers are all mega sized, when designed she had scantlings like the Norwegian rescue saliboats. I totally recomend building one, however if you want to save some time, Bruce Elfstrom has the masts and rigging for Ben Bow, sister to F&A, and the keel may still be available as well in CT, the mast alone is like a telephone pole, Bruce started Wooden boat rescue foundation

      John Frodigh

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "bakerssails" <bakerssails@...> wrote:

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JohnA" <jalmberg@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi there... I'm in the middle of building "Cabin Boy", my first wooden boat. The next will probably be something sensible, like "Little Bear", but I can't help wondering about the cost/time to build something like "Fore and Aft". I was talking to an experienced builder today, and he was saying that wood hasn't been this cheap for years, and if I ever wanted to build a 'real' boat, it's going to be hard to find a better time...
      > >
      > > Has anyone on this list actually built a boat like Fore and Aft? Care to venture an estimate on the cost of materials, to within a few thousand? Assuming a simple, 'traditional' cabin? Not a gold-plater, in other words.
      > >
      > > For time, I'm guessing 2000 hours or so. Am I even close?
      > >
      > > Such a lovely boat...
      > >
      > > -- John
      > >hi i,m building tally ho major at the moment the hull has cost me about$8000 -$9000 here in australia paying around $1.50 per super foot
      > it has taken me 3days a week for 1year to where i am see pics of Gallifery i think around 5000 hours in total will be about right i'm doing 4 days a week on it know make no mistake these type of boats are masses of work cheers Adrian

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic