2475Re: River Rat

  • Sam
    Oct 11, 2009
      I have the plans for this boat and have been studying them for a while. I think the boat has what I'm looking for but I want to make sure that my few intended modifications don't cause problems.

      The boat was designed in 1952 and Atkin claimed it would top out at 17.5 mph with a 25 hp outboard. It is plywood on frame with one seam batten on either side of the keel and two between the chine and sheer. He calls for frames 3/4 by 2 1/4 white oak on 18 1/2 in. centers. I plan to use longleaf pine instead of white oak. Bottom planking is one layer of 3/8 and top sides are one layer of 1/4. Cabin top is one layer of 1/4. He specifies glue and screw construction.

      1. I would like to use epoxy instead of glue. Can I cut down on the fasteners for the planking?

      2. I plan to keep the boat on a trailer, though the plans mention nothing of this. Will this cause problems with such lightweight construction? I thought I might add rigidity by adding some plywood frames longitudinally between the bottom frames, secured with epoxy fillets.

      3. I was going to glass the chines with one layer of biaxal cloth and sheath the entire hull in it as well. Any problems here?

      4. I would like to make some adjustments to add three inches of headroom inside, such as increasing the camber of the rooftop and increasing the height of the cabin sides. Any trouble with this?

      5. I want to be able to store a small tender on the roof top and use it as lounge space. The cabin top beams call for 7/8 by 2 in. spruce on 10 inch centers.

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "sam.scoville" <sam321866@...> wrote:

      > I'm new to the group. I am awaiting plans for Atkin's River Rat. Does anyone have any info on this design, other that what is in the Atkin webpage's description? Know if any have been built?
      >
      > Sam

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic