      From: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com [mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of paulsquire21
      Sent: Wednesday, 2 September 2009 8:03 AM
      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [AtkinBoats] Re: 22HP @ 3000 rpm gas engine

      >> Please tell me where you are able

      to find
      >> cheap gearboxes for such small power

      > This is a problem. I thought I'd avoid it
      > altogether and use direct drive for fwd and
      > a pole or paddle for reverse.

      If I got fed up with the pole I might try a disk & wheel system in which a disk is mounted on vertical engine's output shaft. A wheel is mounted on the boat's propeller shaft with a lever to bring it up to the disk. The lever is arranged so it can bring the wheel up to the disk on either side of the disk's center thus giving fwd and reverse. I believe this system may be used in some larger ride-on mowers.

      I uploaded a sketch at
      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YJmdSnTgCAESFamdkkh8Ss0GmtxBTjVJu15jYNu28f32wk7rDMANq3-S3y68FoUx_nkhaAiO9HbfcwPWUPAJgS17lN5up7CzU8ot/Cheap%20Gearbox%20%26%20Clutch.jpg

      The engine is a 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki I found at
      https://www.surpluscenter.com/Item.asp?UID=2009090116443760&catname=engines&item=28-1714

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic