      From: windmill4048 <baileyd4048@...>
      Subject: [AtkinBoats] Re: 22HP @ 3000 rpm gas engine
      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, August 30, 2009, 4:48 PM

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogro ups.com, "paulsquire21" <paulsquire21@ ...> wrote:

      > Several of the tunnel boats I'm considering call for about 22hp @ 3000rpm. Diesels seem noisy and heavy. Is there a smooth multi-cylinder gas alternative? Like a modern Atomic 4 maybe?
      >
      > Paul

      Modern small diesels are light and much smoother than older models. They do make a nice racket though. And they are costly.

      Kobota based small diesels are usually good since the kobata cores are very, very available as are parts from farm stores and lawn care dealers.

      Look for a used one and do the marine conversion yourself.

      Or - I just had a good friend find a used marine generator at a large boat yard very cheap. The owner had replace it on his boat as the generator side was giving problems but the engine side was sound. Marine generators are already setup with the cooling and much of the other stuff you'd need. Gearboxes are not that expensive so you'd get a good marine engine cheap.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic