2391Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Thistle and raised deck

    Aug 9, 2009
      Be careful when you hear a boat being called a "Colin Archer," that one
      for sale wasn't designed or built by Colin Archer, who died in 1921. The
      boat in the ad was built in 1991 and designed by somw guy named Janssen!
      <sigh> Unfortunately, many double-ended boats built long after Colin
      Archer's demise get described as "Colin Archers." Some of them are
      Scandinavian fishing and work boats designed after Archer's death, but
      incorporating some of his ideas for reforming and improving the types,
      some are pleasure boats that may just _look_ kinda like a Colin Archer
      double-ender, a few might be newer boats built to the old designs. Not
      all double-enders are the same...

      William and John Atkin acknowledge the basis for their seagoing
      double-enders, but intelligently "Atkinized" their boats for better
      performance. Although the Atkin double-enders aren't Colin Archer designs
      (even Eric was tweaked a bit), they retain most of the seaworthiness of
      the type and are more suitable for pleasure sailing than their fishing and
      rescue boat ancestors.

      Using hatches and/or skylights to provide a few places where you can stand
      up tall and stretch is a much better idea than raising the whole deck of a
      seagoing boat. One of the great writing yacht designers (Francis
      Herreshoff?) wrote that all the things worth doing in the cabin of a
      sailboat, you do either sitting or lying down. I can think of one thing he
      missed -- pulling up your pants -- but that can be done under a hatch or
      skylight. <g>

      A few weeks ago I was wandering around the Charleston (Oregon) shipyard
      when I was shocked to see that a beautiful old sailboat was being cut up.
      I'd long admired the boat, but had hated to see it dying from neglect at
      the dock (it hadn't been hauled in 20 years!). It had been sold a while
      back, and I had hopes the new owner would give the girl a new life. But
      there he was sawing her up! He said that while the boat was sound below
      the waterline, fresh water had done so much damage to the topsides he
      couldn't afford to fix her, and his conscience wouldn't let him pass her
      on to another starry eyed dreamer. <sigh> We talked about the old hippy
      who'd owned her, and lived aboard her for many, many years. The new owner
      said, "the trouble was that Lee tried to solve a housing problem with a
      sailboat." Does it make sense to build a seagoing sailboat, one that could
      easily sail 'round the World, to solve a housing problem? Motorboats make
      better live-aboards anyway, and used ones can be found for good prices.

      On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 22:05:33 -0700, air_2_fly wrote:

      > After seeing the pictures of this Colin Archer for sale:
      > http://www.rightboat.com/Colin-Archer-Double-Ender/boat-12027989/
      >
      > I think I could have a skylight or two in the center of a flush deck of
      > a smaller boat. This link will not last if the boat sells, so I made
      > copies of the pictures. Very nice boat. I'm getting some good ideas.

      Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you get
      a lot of scum on the top. <Edward Abbey>
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic