2385Re: Thistle and raised deck

  • air_2_fly
    Aug 6 8:19 AM
      Hi Patrick,

      Fram is larger and may have enough room inside. I stand six feet and would like to build something that could become a live aboard in the future. I've had smaller living space in the past, but would like to get headroom. Flush deck, too, is the way to go for me I think. I've seen Colin Archer types with flush decks on the internet that look roomy inside. These designs are very nice.

      Another website had a thread going that double ended boats with sharper ends ride like a hobby horse in certain conditions. Maybe that was someone with experience with a much different design. Would this be true of the Atkin's double ended designs? I've read that these boats (Colin Archer type) are the ultimate if you want to go to sea and manage well. I have heard good things about them. I'm not that into speed, it's just how I get there that matters. I didn't want to get too big of a design. My goal is to get something for one person to build, sail, and maintain (hopefully not too expensive after it is built).

      Allen

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Blanchard <kd0dvh@...> wrote:

      > you are welcome. Just a few weeks ago Lynn Pardey answered my email
      > about the flush deck aft.
      >
      > "After 3 decades of incredible sailing with the flush deck aft, would
      > you have it in your next boat?"
      >
      > "...yes...At first I was skeptical..." "...Larry framed in the
      > footwell just in case it didn't work, and could later remove the
      > lazarette if needed and place a footwell as Hess designed. It has
      > worked well and I still love it..."
      >
      > If possible, sit in either an Eric or Thistle's forc'sl - it is what
      > you will have aft without the footwell.
      >
      > regards,
      > patrick
      >
      > On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 10:55 PM, air_2_fly<air_2_fly@...> wrote:
      > >

      > > Thanks for your post. I like the idea of a flush aft deck! Thanks again.
      > >
      > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Blanchard <kd0dvh@> wrote:
      > >>
      > >> The Thistle is probably as high a freeboard as could be safely
      > >> designed so as to maintain seaworthiness, IMO but you already know
      > >> that. Center of buoyancy will be higher of course, and quite tender to
      > >> a gust. This would mean a wet boat and one prone to broaching.
      > >> Thistle's deck is already 2" higher than Eric (my boat) and is the
      > >> only practical difference in lines. Perhaps opting for larger and more
      > >> openness with hatches for those times you need a good stretch, keeping
      > >> the lines unchanged. Adding a hatch perhaps?
      > >>
      > >> Although not an extension of standing height, you might consider doing
      > >> w/o the footwell, keeping aft deck flush for more interior storage.
      > >> Personally I would not consider this modification detrimental to
      > >> performance; less chance for a pooped deck and proven safe
      > >> modification on the Pardey's Hess cutter Taliesin.
      > >>
      > >> regards,
      > >> Patrick

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic