2384Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Thistle and raised deck

  • Patrick Blanchard
    Aug 5 6:15 AM
      you are welcome. Just a few weeks ago Lynn Pardey answered my email
      about the flush deck aft.

      "After 3 decades of incredible sailing with the flush deck aft, would
      you have it in your next boat?"

      "...yes...At first I was skeptical..." "...Larry framed in the
      footwell just in case it didn't work, and could later remove the
      lazarette if needed and place a footwell as Hess designed. It has
      worked well and I still love it..."

      If possible, sit in either an Eric or Thistle's forc'sl - it is what
      you will have aft without the footwell.

      regards,
      patrick

      On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 10:55 PM, air_2_fly<air_2_fly@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for your post. I like the idea of a flush aft deck! Thanks again.
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Patrick Blanchard <kd0dvh@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> The Thistle is probably as high a freeboard as could be safely
      >> designed so as to maintain seaworthiness, IMO but you already know
      >> that. Center of buoyancy will be higher of course, and quite tender to
      >> a gust. This would mean a wet boat and one prone to broaching.
      >> Thistle's deck is already 2" higher than Eric (my boat) and is the
      >> only practical difference in lines. Perhaps opting for larger and more
      >> openness with hatches for those times you need a good stretch, keeping
      >> the lines unchanged. Adding a hatch perhaps?
      >>
      >> Although not an extension of standing height, you might consider doing
      >> w/o the footwell, keeping aft deck flush for more interior storage.
      >> Personally I would not consider this modification detrimental to
      >> performance; less chance for a pooped deck and proven safe
      >> modification on the Pardey's Hess cutter Taliesin.
      >>
      >> regards,
      >> Patrick
      >>

      >> On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 1:58 PM, air_2_fly<air_2_fly@...> wrote:
      >> >

      >> > I can understand that problems could result in changing a design. Is
      >> > there a
      >> > way to raise the deck height of Thistle to give six feet (and maybe one
      >> > or
      >> > two inches more) interior height and keeping it a flush deck without
      >> > going
      >> > to a bigger boat?

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic