2382Re: [AtkinBoats] Thistle and raised deck

  • Patrick Blanchard
    Aug 3, 2009
      The Thistle is probably as high a freeboard as could be safely
      designed so as to maintain seaworthiness, IMO but you already know
      that. Center of buoyancy will be higher of course, and quite tender to
      a gust. This would mean a wet boat and one prone to broaching.
      Thistle's deck is already 2" higher than Eric (my boat) and is the
      only practical difference in lines. Perhaps opting for larger and more
      openness with hatches for those times you need a good stretch, keeping
      the lines unchanged. Adding a hatch perhaps?

      Although not an extension of standing height, you might consider doing
      w/o the footwell, keeping aft deck flush for more interior storage.
      Personally I would not consider this modification detrimental to
      performance; less chance for a pooped deck and proven safe
      modification on the Pardey's Hess cutter Taliesin.

      regards,
      Patrick

      On Sun, Aug 2, 2009 at 1:58 PM, air_2_fly<air_2_fly@...> wrote:

      > I can understand that problems could result in changing a design. Is there a
      > way to raise the deck height of Thistle to give six feet (and maybe one or
      > two inches more) interior height and keeping it a flush deck without going
      > to a bigger boat?

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic