232Re: [AtkinBoats] Robb White's Rescue Minor-Barrelback stern!

    Jun 21, 2004
      Well, I guess I stumbled on a way to get people to contribute to this list!
      ;o) It is my personal opinion, but I think Robb White's stern doesn't go
      well with the rest of the boat. I like barrel backs just fine, just not on a
      Rescue Minor. <g>

      The Atkins knew the good a bit of tumblehome aft did for the looks of a
      motorboat, and often added some to otherwise starkly simple designs with
      good effect. If you're not using plywood sheets for planking, it really
      shouldn't add much complication to the building. But Rescue Minor was
      designed for plywood construction, so Wm. used a straight-sided transom.
      It's not ugly, but it'd look better with some shape. Robb White just got a
      bit carried away! <g> Putting tumblehome into a stern on a fiberglass boat
      is troublesome and expensive, but I guess nowadays we're used to the boxy
      sterns on motorboats, and there's so much other ugliness in their designs
      that the sterns don't jump out at us...

      On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:11:30 +1000 (EST), Hugo wrote:
      > Its all personal taste, but I do think Robb has improved the asthetics of
      the Rescue Minor design by modifying the stern to a "Barrel-Back" shape. I
      don't think it would affect performance or capacity(Negatively) in any
      appreciable way and makes a fairly plain looking boat just that bit more
      visually exciting!

      Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless
      they meet two conditions:
      1. He is a Greek
      2. He is a Fisherman <Roy Blount Jr.>
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic