2279Re: everhope

  • adharvey2
    Feb 27, 2009
      I just got my exhaust manifold for my Everhope today. Unfortunately
      (or maybe fortunately), nobody makes a marine manifold for the
      particular model of Kubota that I ended up with, so I'm going to have
      to use something like the Rob White copper tubing method if I want to
      cool it down any. At least this one only cost 40 bucks.

      As for picking the design, my biggest problem with Everhope was that I
      thought, initially, that it was a little cramped (by modern standards)
      for a day fishing boat, but after mocking up the arrangement in the
      shop I decided it was fine. What I believe will be the big advantage
      of this design is the ability to use it on the unregulated mountain
      lakes around here. In the spring and fall, or during a dry year, the
      water is way down on the boat ramps, or below them all together, and
      you're trying to launch in very shallow water. Anything with a
      traditional deadwood, or even a moderate V, would be quite a bit
      harder to get off the trailer.

      Speaking of Rob White, I was looking at his web site and I got to
      wondering about his construction method. I'm going to build my
      Everhope using glued plywood planks. A really competent and thorough
      "conversion" to modern construction would probably involve eliminating
      the 38 bent ribs, and completely redesigning the interior and deck
      structures using plywood bulkheads, stingers, fillets, and stuff like
      that. That's certainly not for the likes of me. Besides, I don't mind
      steam bending at all, I do it regularly in my shop for chair parts,
      etc. And this way I won't have to "redesign" anything. And I think
      having 19 frames plus about 10 molds to lay the planks on is going to
      make keeping the planks fair pretty simple for even a first time
      lapstraker like myself. Additionally, I can't think of another way to
      support floor and deck beams, seats, etc. that wouldn't actually be
      heavier than all those little 3/4" x 3/4" oak frames.

      Which brings me back to Rob White. I notice that on all the round
      bilge lapstrake boats in his photo galley, he used sawn frames. Now I
      know that sawn frames are in someways stronger than bent frames, which
      is why you can use fewer of them, but if Ian Oughtred is to be
      believed, a glued lapstrake hull is so strong frames aren't usually
      even required for strength on small boats. So I wondered why someone
      with his regard for lightness and efficiency, and obviously more than
      adequate skill, wouldn't prefer bent frames in a lightweight lapstrake
      boat. Except now that I type this I think I have answered my own
      question - Rob used solid wood planks, didn't he. Which means his laps
      probably weren't glued. Which means he probably wanted the stiffer
      sawn frames for shape retention. Well I'm not going to waste all this
      typing so I'm sending this anyway.

      Andrew Harvey

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "capt.tilley" <capt.tilley@...> wrote:

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@> wrote:
      > >Hey thanks for the wise words, john.
      >
      > Thats what I need, a little reassurance to keep myself from foly. Oh a
      > tempting disease I have to make everything 'custom'. I'll say hi to
      > Pat for ya.
      >
      > t.
      >
      > > Sounds like you're down in Port Orford. Say "hi" to Pat at Griff's
      > for me!
      > > I used to eat at Pat and Jerry's Griff's in Winchester Bay a lot.
      The
      > > people who bought the Windy Bay Griff's are doing good, but Pat and
      > Jerry
      > > still do fish a little bit better. :o)
      > >
      > > Don't worry about Everhope's transom stern, and don't mess with it
      by
      > > trying to add a Normand stern. They launched and landed Seabright
      > skiffs
      > > on the New Jersey beaches in conditions at least as bad as anything
      > you'll
      > > want to tackle at Port Orford. You don't really want to launch on a
      > nasty
      > > day, do you? And with decent weather forecasts nowadays the
      chances of
      > > getting caught out are a lot less than they used to be.
      > >
      > > The "dories" they beach launch at Pacific City nowadays are wide
      > transom
      > > skiffs, and they brag about how well they do. <g> Build Everhope
      > (please!
      > > I want to see one in the flesh <g>) or Shoals Runner, but please
      > don't try
      > > to make some morphodite by combining parts of the two.
      > >
      > > On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 07:08:05 -0800, capt.tilley wrote:
      > >
      > > > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "titanicslim" <titanicslim@>
      Everhope.
      > > > Just wrestling with messing with the plans or not. Really
      want to
      > > > put shoals runner's stern on everhope with out messing up
      performance.
      > > > That big flat stern facing the waves seems slappy and pushy.
      Though
      > > > I could never beach launch everhope into anything bigger than waist
      > > > high surf... We have a good flat beach that you can drive down to.
      > > > Its realitively protected but always has at least knee to thigh high
      > > > surf. It would save a 20$ crane trip.
      > >
      > > --
      > > John <jkohnen@>
      > > Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that he
      > > sometimes has to eat them. <Adlai Stevenson>

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic