2256Re: Gwen o' the River

  • Steve
    Feb 8, 2009
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jon & Wanda(Tink)" <windyjon@...>
      wrote:

      > Nice job on Extream Hope Steve. In the lady I am thinking twolayers
      > of 3/8" may be enough for the bottom cold molded with the sides 1/2"
      > deck 1/2" the cabin sides 3/8" and 1/2" cabbin top all depending on
      > stringer and frame spacing. Heavy glass the bottom and sides with 16-
      > 18Oz. of glass deck and cabbin top with 6 Oz. and cabbin sides with 3-
      > 3.5 Oz. I would do the hull upside down it makes cold molding and
      > glassing easyer.

      Well, just so you can see I know what I am talking about, I have added
      two pics of a 42ft flat bottomed motorsailer I am building ....upright.
      The bottom was glassed first and turned over. I needed no building
      frames or molds. The bottom was flexible enough to set the rocker in
      easily. The advantages of this method are 1./you don't have the expense
      and drama of turning a complete hull, and 2./most of the fitout can be
      done before the topsides or cabin sides go on. No climbing over the
      sides of the boat - just walk in and out. Topsides and chine get
      glassed later - no problem.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic