2253Re: Gwen o' the River

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Feb 6 8:36 PM
      The study plans that I have of Lady of the Lake off the net shows
      frames but not real clearly and 1-1/4"x6" Cypress planking. The
      differance in the two Ladies is small. Trailered boats need to be
      stiffer and stronger then nontrailered to hold up the road. In a boat
      this size with a understanding of ply on frame by some one with
      practical expereince conversion would not be hard but must be
      adequate to make the boat strong enough. Then again others would go
      stich and glue hmmmmmm.

      Jon

      > The Elements of Boat Strength: For Builders, Designers, and Owners,
      by
      > Dave Gerr.
      >
      > Gwen o' the River uses a frameless cross-planked bottom. On small
      boats I
      > say just put plywood planking on with the sheets running crosswise,
      since
      > bottom frames are a terrible thing in a small boat (in this I
      disagree
      > with John Atkin), but on a boat the size of GotR I'd have to
      recommend
      > full framing for plywood construction. So GotR would have to be
      > reengineered for plywood planking and limited trailerability. Not
      > trivial task.
      >
      > On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 20:58:22 -0800, Vancouver Jon wrote:
      >
      > > My point was by replacing the planking with plywood of the same
      > > thickness and in many cases a little thiner it has more strength.
      In
      > > the case of a wet boat (planking that is sweled to seal) it can be
      > > lighter with plywood and encapsolating. Encapsolation eliminates
      the
      > > water weight and the timber frames ect . exspansion and
      contraction. A
      > > good book would be one on the principles of boat strength. I don't
      > > recall the exact title but John may know and who it is by.
      >
      > --
      > John <jkohnen@...>
      > Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine. <H. W.
      > Tilman>

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic