2248Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Gwen o' the River

    Feb 6, 2009
      The Elements of Boat Strength: For Builders, Designers, and Owners, by
      Dave Gerr.

      Gwen o' the River uses a frameless cross-planked bottom. On small boats I
      say just put plywood planking on with the sheets running crosswise, since
      bottom frames are a terrible thing in a small boat (in this I disagree
      with John Atkin), but on a boat the size of GotR I'd have to recommend
      full framing for plywood construction. So GotR would have to be
      reengineered for plywood planking and limited trailerability. Not a
      trivial task.

      On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 20:58:22 -0800, Vancouver Jon wrote:

      > My point was by replacing the planking with plywood of the same
      > thickness and in many cases a little thiner it has more strength. In
      > the case of a wet boat (planking that is sweled to seal) it can be
      > lighter with plywood and encapsolating. Encapsolation eliminates the
      > water weight and the timber frames ect . exspansion and contraction. A
      > good book would be one on the principles of boat strength. I don't
      > recall the exact title but John may know and who it is by.

      John <jkohnen@...>
      Never board a ship without an onion, is sound doctrine. <H. W.
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic