2242Re: Gwen o' the River

  • Jon & Wanda(Tink)
    Feb 4, 2009
      My point was by replacing the planking with plywood of the same
      thickness and in many cases a little thiner it has more strength. In
      the case of a wet boat (planking that is sweled to seal) it can be
      lighter with plywood and encapsolating. Encapsolation eliminates the
      water weight and the timber frames ect . exspansion and contraction. A
      good book would be one on the principles of boat strength. I don't
      recall the exact title but John may know and who it is by.

      Jon

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Bob Johnson <dredbob@...> wrote:

      > I should add to what I wrote in my previous post that the main reason
      > Gwen is not a trailerable boat is due to the traditional planked
      wooden
      > construction. Boats built in this fashion need to be kept in the
      water
      > most of the time so that the planking does not dry out and open up
      the
      > seams. The larger the timbers involved, the greater the potential
      > movement. A newly launched boat of traditional construction may leak
      > for a while until the planks swell and the seams close up. Taken out
      > of the water for too long, and they may open back up.
      >
      > Bob

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic