2156Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Rescue Minor Transmission

  • Kenneth Grome
    Oct 9, 2008
      I agree Mike, and I am very interested in using the drive
      system Tom C. just described in my Tolman Seabright skiff.

      My boat's a lot heavier than Robb White's boat of course, so
      I want an engine that's bigger than 20 HP, but if they are
      available up to 35 HP I guess that's no problem.

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com

      <calfee20@...> wrote:
      > > I was laid off from a Kubota, John Deere dealership
      > > where I was a tractor mechanic. I am very familiar with
      > > the motor Robb White used. Kubota makes a B series
      > > tractor that has a frame to connect the engine and the
      > > transmission. These are their smaller tractors and
      > > range from 18 to maybe 35 hp. The neat thing is they
      > > have a separate enclosed bell housing with a dry clutch
      > > and 3 gears to lower the output shaft to about the
      > > level of the bottom of the oil pan. They also have a
      > > connecting shaft ,engine to trans, that has built in
      > > flex ends to take up small misalignments. I think you
      > > could put one of these in a Rescue Minor and have a
      > > horizontal prop shaft and no belts.
      > >
      > > Big six cylinder Honda motorcycles somehow use the
      > > electric starter for reverse. I can think of a few ways
      > > to to turn the prop backwards, clutch disengaged, with
      > > an electric starter. The battery and charging system
      > > is already there. Years ago when the kids were little
      > > I drove a car with no reverse for two years. I didn't
      > > want to spend the money as the car was a real beater.
      > > Anyway do you think you could get away with a paddle
      > > instead for reverse or is this too hack.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic