2140Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Victor Slocum

  • Kenneth Grome
    Sep 30, 2008
      > I may be off the mark and perhaps June
      > Bug is a more realistic choice. Question
      > here is does it lend itself to Glued Lapstrake?
      > I am not sufficiently skilled to assess this
      > from the Plans ...

      Sorry Steve, I didn't read your earlier posts so I'm not
      sure of your purpose for this boat, but I will say this:

      If you want the more seaworthy boat June Bug is
      substantially better in my opinion, she has higher
      freeboard and a V-bottom, both of which will help her to
      perform safer and better in rough seas.

      Victor Slocum drafts 5 inches less, has lower freeboard, and
      with her flat bottom appears to be more appropriate for
      shallow and/or protected waters, although I'm sure she
      could do fine in rough conditions with a skilled captain.

      Victor Slocum will definitely be more fuel efficient than
      June Bug since she is lighter ... and narrower by 7 inches.
      But given the fact that these boats both take such small
      engines it's really not going to make a whole lot of
      difference which one you use as far as fuel consumption is
      concerned.

      If I were building one for use in the USA I would power her
      with a 6.5 Honda GX 200 engine instead of a diesel. Not
      only is gas cheaper but the engine itself costs only about
      $200 brand new whereas a small diesel will probably run you
      2-3 times that much.

      Either boat can be build using glued plywood lapstrake
      construction, in fact the pictures of Victor Slocum show
      the hull built this way:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Photos/VictorSlocum/index.html

      Here's a link to a photo of June Bug for comparison, just
      click the images for full sized views of any of these
      pictures:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Photos/JuneBug/index.html

      I get the feeling that June Bug is going to feel much larger
      and safer when you're inside her. Those 7 extra inches of
      beam along with her deeper hull will have this effect I'm
      sure. I can already feel the difference just looking at
      the pictures ... :)

      Personally I like June Bug better in terms of seaworthiness.
      I live on the ocean though, and would prefer a V-bottom
      boat when going to sea, so this may not be as important to
      you as other factors. In terms of physical appearance I
      prefer Victor Slocum because of her exaggerated sheer,
      raked transom, outboard rudder, and slimmer lines.

      How and where do you plan to use the boat, Steve?

      Sincerely,
      Ken Grome
      Bagacay Boatworks
      www.bagacayboatworks.com