1961Re: [AtkinBoats] Testing Billy Atkin's performance as stated by Atkin & Co

  • lon wells
    May 29, 2008
      The Atkin Seabright Skiff Tunnel hulls were designed
      for inboard use in shallow waters, Atkin also designed
      Seabright Skiffs that were not tunnel hull that did
      not sacrifice performance for shallow draft, below are
      two seabright skiffs about the same width and beam one
      tunnel hull (shallow draft and the other slightly
      deeper draft (5-1/2") but it requires less than half
      the horse power to achieve greater speed.

      Heron Seabright Tunnel hull
      LOA 17 WL 16'-7" beam 5'-5" draft 6" 25hp 17MPH
      http://tinyurl.com/5rzo2o
      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Utilities/Heron.html

      Happy Clam Seabright Hull
      LOA 17 WL 16 beam 5'6" draft 11-1/2 10HP speed 20mph
      http://tinyurl.com/345atw

      So there it is
      Lon

      --- John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

      > But the reason for the tunnel stern is shallow
      > draft. If shallow draft is
      > not an issue then you should compare a non-tunnel
      > Atkin V-bottom
      > Seabright skiff with more conventional hull forms.
      > The Atkin tunnel-stern
      > Seabright skiff will be at a disadvantage if it's
      > competing against hulls
      > not designed for similar shallow draft. What'd be
      > the point? Apples and
      > oranges... <shrug>
      >
      > On Tue, 27 May 2008 20:20:47 -0700, Kenneth G wrote:

      > > I agree that it may be desirable in some
      > circumstances to
      > > compare two hulls with similar shallow draft
      > > characteristics.
      > >
      > > On the other hand, if shallow draft is not an
      > issue, and
      > > when the goal is only to determine the relative
      > efficiency
      > > of the two hulls, it certainly makes sense to
      > compare them
      > > directly.

      > John <jkohnen@...>
      > I shall allow no man to belittle my soul by making
      > me hate him.
      > <Booker T. Washington>
      >
      > ------------------------------------
      >
      > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public
      > mopery. Please be polite.
      >
      > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not
      > modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do
      > so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
      > responsibility for the performance of the resulting
      > boat.

      > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic