1766Re: Problem in the Lofting

  • rdtsang1953
    Feb 2, 2008
      I would have to agree on the ft.-inches-eighths in most cases. If you
      read the classics, Chappelle or Herreshof. I had read these and
      consumed the type and bought all the right measuring tools before my
      plans arrived from New Zealand. They were metric!!!

      There are no absolutes in life!

      bob

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "RF Wellington" <dukenali@...> wrote:

      > All boat plans that I have ever seen or worked with are dimensioned
      > in: Feet, Inches, and Eights. That's The Rule !
      >
      > The last number is ALWAYS in eights of an inch (a 6 would really mean
      > 3/4")
      >
      > A dimension on the plan such as 8-7-4 would mean the dimension is 8
      > feet, 7 inches, and 4 eights of an inch long (or 8 feet 7 1/2")
      >
      > An indication of + after the dimension indicates that the dimension
      > is 1/16 of an inch longer than indicated. An indication of - after
      > the dimension indicates that the actual dimension is 1/16 shorter
      > than indicated.
      >
      > A dimension on the plan of 8-7-4+ would mean that the actual
      > dimension is 8 feet, 7 and 9/16 inches long. Conversely a dimension
      > of 8-7-4- would indicate that the actual dimension is 8 feet, 7 and
      > 7/16 inches long.
      >
      > I have never seen a boat plan dimensioned in tenths of an inch such
      > as 3.10 I do not know how much of an addition or a subtration the +
      > or the - would make in this case.
      >
      > The builder always has to use a little leeway, common sense, and his
      > eye. Make everything fair, fit properly, look correct and you should
      > have a fine craft. The most valuable tool, equipment, or commodity
      > any boat builder can have at his disposal is experience. That is why
      > most people recommend that your first building project should be
      > something small where you can gain both experience and confidence,
      > such as a dinghy.
      >
      > I hope this helps.
      >
      > Duke Wellington
      >

      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@>
      > wrote:

      > 3.10³/²+,
      > >
      > > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???
      > >
      > > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@)

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic