1765Re: Problem in the Lofting

  • RF Wellington
    Feb 2, 2008
      All boat plans that I have ever seen or worked with are dimensioned
      in: Feet, Inches, and Eights. That's The Rule !

      The last number is ALWAYS in eights of an inch (a 6 would really mean
      3/4")

      A dimension on the plan such as 8-7-4 would mean the dimension is 8
      feet, 7 inches, and 4 eights of an inch long (or 8 feet 7 1/2")

      An indication of + after the dimension indicates that the dimension
      is 1/16 of an inch longer than indicated. An indication of - after
      the dimension indicates that the actual dimension is 1/16 shorter
      than indicated.

      A dimension on the plan of 8-7-4+ would mean that the actual
      dimension is 8 feet, 7 and 9/16 inches long. Conversely a dimension
      of 8-7-4- would indicate that the actual dimension is 8 feet, 7 and
      7/16 inches long.

      I have never seen a boat plan dimensioned in tenths of an inch such
      as 3.10 I do not know how much of an addition or a subtration the +
      or the - would make in this case.

      The builder always has to use a little leeway, common sense, and his
      eye. Make everything fair, fit properly, look correct and you should
      have a fine craft. The most valuable tool, equipment, or commodity
      any boat builder can have at his disposal is experience. That is why
      most people recommend that your first building project should be
      something small where you can gain both experience and confidence,
      such as a dinghy.

      I hope this helps.

      Duke Wellington

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...>
      wrote:

      > On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 21:38 -0500, Ron Butterfield wrote:
      >
      > > > with the signal of subtraction (-) for example 2.10¹/²- or
      3.10³/²+,

      > the 3/2 seems odd, wouldn't that show up as 3.11 1/2+ ???
      >
      > Chris Kottaridis (chriskot@...)

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic